- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cups chopped yellow onions
- ¼ cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 cups dried red kidney beans (soaked overnight)
- 1 tablespoon Special Seasoning
- 1 4 ounce can sliced mushrooms (drained)
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 ½ cups cooked long-grain brown rice (warm)
- 6 tablespoons chopped green onions
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over high heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, garlic, and bay leaves, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the beans and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the Special Seasoning (see recipe), canned mushrooms, and stock; stir well, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 1 1/2 hours, until beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the carrots, salt, and parsley, cover the pot, and cook for 15 minutes. Discard the bay leaves. Remove 1 cup of beans from the pot and reserve.
- With a hand-held immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor, puree the red beans. Add the reserved beans, and stir well.
- To serve, ladle a generous cup of the soup into each of 6 bowls.
- Top each serving with 1/4 cup of the rice and 1 tablespoon of green onions.