Garden Vegetable Soup
Servings: 6 servings
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped leeks white part only (from approximately 3 medium leeks)
- 2 tablespoons finely minced garlic
- 2 cups carrots peeled and chopped into rounds (approximately 2 medium)
- 2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 2 cups fresh green beans broken or cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 4 cups peeled seeded, and chopped tomatoes
- 2 ears corn kernels removed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup packed chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 - 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the leeks and garlic and cook for 2 minutes or until tender-crisp, stirring often. Add the carrots, potatoes, and green beans; cook until tender-crisp.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, and corn and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the parsley and brighten with a squeeze of lemon.
What kind of tomatoes do you use?
Any fresh tomato will do. However, I prefer Roma Tomatoes.
Thanks for your question. Be blessed on your fast.
Hi! Thank you for this recipe. My husband and I enjoyed it on our Daniel Fast. Just wanted to share a tip that I believe my mother learned as an au pair in France: You can use all the green parts of the leeks as well, just sauté them first – as you have already put instructions for in the recipe. We did this, and it turned out well.
May be a stupid question but do you cook the kernal or just the cob?
Aurora I used a can of corn . And added that in my pot with the other vegetables and broth. Surprisingly it wasn’t as at all.??