A great recipe for your Daniel Fast. Use whatever ingredients you want.
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 large carrots diced
- 2 celery ribs diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika powder
- 1 14.5 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups dried lentils picked over and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pan or Dutch oven over medium heat; add the onion and sauté until it begins to become translucent (about 4 minutes); add the garlic and continue to sauté for 2 more minutes; add the carrots and celery and cook for about 5 more minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the cumin, curry, and paprika and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute); add the crushed tomatoes and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils, vegetable broth, and water, along with salt and pepper; increase the heat and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, so the soup begins to simmer; cover the pot and simmer the soup for about 30 minutes, testing the lentils for tenderness but still holding their shape.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup to your liking (smooth or chunky); add the lemon juice and zest; adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Garnish each serving with fresh parsley or parsley (optional).
Here are more ideas.