Making this Red Bean Soup is so simple and keeps you from having to spend so much time on meals and more time in study, praying, and visiting with your amazing Father.
Double the recipe and freeze one batch for later! Also, serve leftovers for lunch for a quick and nutritious meal. Pair the soup with a simple salad, and you have a pleasant meal for yourself and others.
Red Bean Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cups chopped yellow onions
- ¼ cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 cups dried red kidney beans soaked overnight
- 1 tablespoon Special Seasoning
- 1 4 ounce can sliced mushrooms drained
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 ½ cups cooked long-grain brown rice warm
- 6 tablespoons chopped green onions
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over high heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, garlic, and bay leaves, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the beans and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the Special Seasoning (see recipe), canned mushrooms, and stock; stir well, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 1 1/2 hours, until beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the carrots, salt, and parsley, cover the pot, and cook for 15 minutes. Discard the bay leaves. Remove 1 cup of beans from the pot and reserve.
- With a hand-held immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor, puree the red beans. Add the reserved beans, and stir well.
- To serve, ladle a generous cup of the soup into each of 6 bowls.
- Top each serving with 1/4 cup of the rice and 1 tablespoon of green onions.