- 2 ½ tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1. Place all ingredients into a small bowl.
- 2. Thoroughly mix with a whisk.
- 3. Store your Special Seasoning in an airtight jar or container.
RED BEAN SOUP
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cups chopped yellow onions
- ¼ cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 cups dried red kidney beans, soaked overnight
- 1 tablespoon Special Seasoning,
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 ½ cups cooked long-grain brown rice, warm
- 6 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1. Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over high heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, garlic, and bay leaves, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- 2. Add the beans and cook for 2 minutes.
- 3. Add the Special Seasoning and stock, stir well, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 1 1/2 hours, until beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 4. Add the salt and parsley, cover the pot, and cook for 15 minutes. Discard the bay leaves. Remove 1 cup of beans from the pot and reserve.
- 5. With a hand-held immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor, puree the red beans. Add the reserved beans, and stir well.
- 6. To serve, ladle a generous cup of the soup into each of 6 bowls.
- 7. Top each serving with 1/4 cup of the rice and 1 tablespoon of green onions.
GREEK VEGETABLE STEW
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 pound green string beans, broken in half
- 1 package frozen or fresh spinach
- 4 cups water
- 6 zucchini, chunked
- 4 yellow squash, chunked
- 2 cups celery leaves
- 4 tomatoes, quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices lemon
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1. Lightly brown onions in a hot dry skillet in 2 tablespoons oil.
- 2. Add oregano and garlic, cook 1 minute.
- 3. Add 4 cups water and tomatoes. Cook 10 minutes.
- 4. Add remaining ingredients. Cook covered for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5. Serve with a lemon slice in each bowl
GARDEN VEGETABLE SOUP
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped leeks, white part only (from approximately 3 medium leeks)
- 2 tablespoons finely minced garlic
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped into rounds (approximately 2 medium)
- 2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 2 cups fresh green beans, broken or cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 4 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped tomatoes
- 2 ears corn, kernels removed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup packed, chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 - 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1. Heat the olive oil in large, heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium-low heat. Once hot,
- add the leeks, garlic, and a pinch of salt and sweat until they begin to soften,
- approximately 7 to 8 minutes.
- 2. Add the carrots, potatoes, and green beans and continue to cook for 4 to 5 more
- minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Add the stock, increase the heat to high, and bring to a simmer.
- 4. Once simmering, add the tomatoes, corn kernels, and pepper. Reduce the heat to low,
- cover, and cook until the vegetables are fork tender, approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
- 5. Remove from heat and add the parsley and lemon juice. Season, to taste, with kosher
- salt. Serve immediately.